Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who do you trust your health to?


I am so frustrated that some doctors really don't know how to practice preventative medicine. Some are actually advising their clients in ways that I am sure actually leads to premature death. Wake up and read the research! Let me give you a bit of background before I vent some more.

My 87 year old Grandfather who is suffering from memory loss and suspected to have Alzheimer's disease has been taking a high quality fish oil since the beginning of November. My Grandmother, who knows him best and sees him every single day, told me that his memory has improved. While I wasn't expecting the omega 3 fatty acids to reverse the brain damage that has already occurred, I was hoping it would slow the progression. I was encouraged by the results in such a short period of time.

Recently my Grandfather was assessed by a doctor and I told my Grandmother to bring the Biomega to show them what he has been taking. I want them to have the full picture. The doctor told her that while the fish oil would have helped him years ago it was a waste of money and would not help him at this point. What the @#*@! (yes I am actually really pissed off - for those who know me well, know that I never swear).

Our bodies cannot produce omega 3 fatty acids and we need to get it from our food. The best sources are cold water fish (salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies and sardines). Eating fish 5 times a week would help we also need to consider that many oily fish are contaminated with heavy metals and other fat-soluble pollutants which can accumulate to harmful levels for humans. I know he is not receiving the omega 3 fatty acids his body needs from his food so a supplement would make sense, would you not agree? Is it a waste of money to feed him at this point? (yes still venting)

Research has shown that a high intake of fish has been linked to a significant decrease in age-related memory loss as well as a lower risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. A study published in the International Journal of Neuroscience found that Alzheimer's patients given an omega 3 supplement experienced a significant improvement in their quality of life.

Personally I use a high quality supplement called Biomega which is what I suggested for my Grandfather. It is a high quality source formulated by scientists using pharmaceutical good manufacturing practices, highly effective purification techniques to remove contaminants like mercury and is all based on current research and optimal levels for cellular health.

I encouraged my Grandmother to continue giving the fish oil to my Grandfather and I assured her it wasn't a waste of money. If I was in Ontario right now I would be going to every appointment and speaking directly to the doctors. I know there are doctors out there educating their clients about healthy lifestyles, nutrition and preventative care. There needs to be more! In the meantime, I need to share and spread the word about taking charge of your own health!

I always see challenges or perceived obstacle in my life as an opportunity in disguise. As I shift my perspective I realize this incidence created more fuel for the fire that will continue to motivate me to educate and empower others to realize they need to be the change they want to see in their health & body. Everyone has the ability to heal and I will continue to teach you how to tap into your internal pharmacist.

While I know there are good doctors out there, please continue to educate yourself and to question your doctor when something doesn't make sense to you. For example, I was told by my last doctor to take TUMS because it was a good source of calcium. Why would I take an antacid to get calcium? Yes, she is no longer my doctor.

I will do my best to continue to provide resources and insight that will help you, but ultimately it is up to you to change your health. Only you can begin to care for your mind and body. You need to make the commitment to your own health.

What is one thing you can do this week to help you improve your health? It is helpful when you are accountable to someone, feel free to leave a comment with your commitment. We can all support each other.

Hugs, Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment